Fireplaces are a great way to stay warm during the winter months, but it’s essential to use them safely.
Follow these tips to make sure your fireplace is being used correctly and safely.
- Inspect your fireplace and chimney regularly. Look for cracks in the mortar or any areas where bricks are missing. These need to be repaired before using your fireplace to prevent fires from spreading.
- Make sure the area around your fireplace is clear of flammable materials such as rugs, newspapers, or furniture. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby in case of emergencies.
- Start with small fires and gradually add more wood as needed. Don’t overload the fireplace with too much wood at once as this can cause excessive smoke and even fires to spread outside of the fireplace.
- Remember to open the damper before lighting a fire and close it when the fire has died down completely. This will help with ventilation and prevent heat from escaping up the chimney when not in use.
- Never leave a fire unattended and make sure ashes are completely extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house. Ashes can stay hot for days, so it’s important to store them in a metal container with a lid well away from your home.
By following these simple tips, you can enjoy your fireplace all winter long without having to worry about safety hazards.
If you have any concerns about your fireplace, it’s always best to call the professionals at Strait Comfort Systems before using it.
Stay safe and warm this winter!